Friday, June 10, 2005

Belmont Stakes

Tomorrow, we get to watch the third jewel in horse racing's Triple Crown. However, this year, we don't have a horse in the Belmont Stakes who won both the Kentucky Derby and Preakness. If a Triple Crown was at stake tomorrow, would the excitement be anywhere close to that in the 1973 Belmont?


I was born just a few weeks after Secretariat won that race in record-breaking time to earn the Triple Crown. I wish I was alive to see it. I don't think I'll ever see such a dominating performance with so much on the line. On June 9, 1973, the entire sports world was watching Secretariat to see if he could deliver. Even though he trailed early in the race, there was no denying him, as he hit the wire 31 lengths ahead of the second-place finisher.


I watch this race on replays frequently, but it will never be the same as watching it live.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?