Monday, August 08, 2005

Be wary of unverified autographs

Over the weekend, I went to an outdoor festival which had a silent auction to raise money for a local charity. Among other things, attendees could bid on autographed jerseys, bats, and helmets. I know the people who ran the event, so I'm sure the items were legit. However, in general, I'm usually wary of autographed items.

I have autographs from players such as Gary Carter, Ferguson Jenkins, and Len Dykstra. Each of them signed the autograph in front of me. Dykstra was the least engaging of the three. I asked him something like "How's it going?" and he said "I don't know." Nobody ever said he was a genius.

I would be very hesitant to buy autographed memorabilia from a retail store. How do I know the player signed it himself?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?