Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Shaq's pay cut not enough

Shaquille O'Neal has agreed to a pay cut. Don't get out the tissues and cry for him. Instead of getting about $30 million next season, he got a five-year, $100 million deal.

Shaq has a few good years left, but I'd like for someone to explain why he's worth that much money. As high as that figure is, the Miami Heat wouldn't have been the only team willing to shell out that kind of cash.

Tom from Vestal, NY offered this comment on my softball take: "Everyone is serious about different things. You want to treat softball or volleyball as a fun, recreational activity, but you are much more serious about bowling. Other people are serious about other things, and I don't think money is always the reason. A long time ago, the Olympics were purely for amateurs and there was very little money to be made, even if you won a gold medal. Did Jesse Owens really take the games seriously because he thought money was at stake? I'm going to guess not."

From Steve: I agree that money is not always a motivating factor in sports. This may sound silly, but I don't even know if our bowling league is offering prize money. If not, I don't care. However, I will be able to order a championship ring as this is a sanctioned American Bowling Congress/United States Bowling Congress league. Having that second ring: priceless.

While we're talking about bowling, I want to recognize my coach Samir Abdelnaby. His advice and positive attitude have really been a great help to me.

Send comments to: seepersports@aol.com

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?