Monday, September 19, 2005

Race provided uplifting experience

When I was a kid growing up in The Bronx, my father and I would always make a point to watch the NYC Marathon on television. In fact, one time, we even went to Central Park to see the finish in person. I always thought it would be cool to run in the marathon, but I don't have the time or energy to train for a 26-mile race. On top of that, I'd probably have to do without McDonald's and Chinese food.

Over the weekend, I got to take part in what I consider the next-best thing. For the third year in a row (photo from 2004), I ran in Race for the Cure in Scranton, PA. What a great event! Thousands of people participated and watched. The course was challenging. Scranton provides a little bit of a big-city atmosphere. I would've enjoyed it more if my knees, calves, and back weren't hurting so much.

It was also great to see how the experience was uplifting for those whose lives have been touched by breast cancer.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?