Thursday, November 17, 2005

Membership must provide value

The Professional Bowlers Association recently announced a drive to increase its membership ranks. Now, the three ways to become a PBA member are to: have a 200 average or better in the most recent league season, have a 190 average or better in a USBC Sport league, or cash in a PBA regional event as a non-member. The tour is waiving initiation fees until the end of February in 2006.

I'm all for changing the requirements so more people can join, so long as the tour is not opening the floodgates to everyone. Will this recent action increase the number of PBA members? I'd join today if my average was high enough (photo of me from PBA Pro-Am in Cortland, NY), just so I can say I'm a PBA member. However, most people don't see things the way I do. Ultimately, people will decide to join if they feel they can get a good value from the membership.

For instance, I receive frequent mailing inviting me to join the alumni associations at Ohio State and Michigan. They're great organizations, but if I join, it would basically be a $55 magazine subscription. I don't live close enough to either school to take advantage of the other benefits.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?