Sunday, April 23, 2006

Dumb comment from Mets broadcaster

I knew this was going to be trouble as soon as I heard it: During the New York Mets' game on Saturday night, former Met and current broadcaster Keith Hernandez said, during the gamecast, women "don't belong in the dugout".

That came after he spotted a woman in the San Diego Padres dugout; as it turns out, she's the team's massage therapist. She and the Padres' manager both took offense to the comment.

Hernandez tried to clean it up by saying "I won't say that women belong in the kitchen, but they don't belong in the dugout...You know I am only teasing. I love you gals out there - always have."

What a weak attempt to atone for a purely boneheaded comment. While anything can happen during a live broadcast, and things can slip out, a broadcaster should have a better internal filtering system.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?