Thursday, April 06, 2006

Gooden heading to prison

You can file this one under "I've been going through a lot, but here's someone who's having a worse day than me."

Former New York Met pitching phenom Dwight Gooden was sentenced yesterday to a year and a day in prison for violating probation by using cocaine. He's likely to only spend 7 1/2 months behind bars, because he'll be credited for time served in jail and a drug rehab facility.

"I have a problem, sir, with cocaine," Gooden told a state judge in Florida. "I had a cocaine relapse."

At first, I wanted to bash Gooden because I was a fan of his in the 1980's and was disappointed when his drug problems came to light.

But, you almost have to feel sorry for the guy. Here he is 20 years later and he's no better off than he was. It's a shame drugs came in the way between him and what almost certainly would've been a Hall of Fame career. He'll be remembered more for his drug problems than for winning a Cy Young Award or World Series ring.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?