Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Thoughts on Ohio State-USC game


I thought the recent Ohio State-USC game (for which I was very fortunate to score tickets) was a good reason to revive this blog. Even though the Buckeyes lost, I'm happy that I was able to attend the game.

In the last two days, I have been reading a lot of post-game coverage, and it seems that many people are blaming the OSU coaching staff for the team's 18-15 loss. Head coach Jim Tressel is a convenient - and justified - target; however, you win as a team and lose as a team. He can't take all the blame. If the Buckeyes had won, I wouldn't have given him all the credit. The offense and the defense had their chances to put the game away, and neither was able to get the job done. You let a team like USC hang around long enough and, chances are, you're going to come away with a loss.

At this point, I'm not going to be one of these doomsday bloggers who says the Buckeyes are in complete disarray. The program is merely adequate. OSU will win Big Ten titles and beat Michigan with regularity. But, when it's for all the wheat against a big out-of-conference opponent, the OSU faithful will walk away disappointed. Adequate and elite are two different things. For all the resources the program has, OSU should be elite.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?